CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 5, 2010

You say Potato, I say HEAVEN!!

 
Nothing says 4th of July like BBQ and potato salad. One of my favorite potato salad recipes is from a dear friend of mine, Debbi. She introduced me to this sinful dish a couple of years ago at our annual Kaboom Town Fireworks Celebration. Its creamy, sweet, tender goodness is a welcome addition to any bbq or main meat dish. It's so simple to make and only 6 ingredients! 

Debbi's Potato Salad

New Potato Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
6-8 new potatoes (enough to yield 6 C when cooked and cubed)
1 C celery slices
1/2 C chopped onion (white works best, but you can also use red)
1/3 C chopped sweet pickle
1 C mayonnaise
2 eggs, hard boiled
salt, pepper, and paprika

Cut potatoes into cubes and place in a large pot of boiling water. Boil, covered, for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are soft enough to prick with a fork. Drain and let cool. (I did not rinse my potatoes, I cooled them on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper for about 30 min.)

While potatoes are cooking, dice up onion, egg, pickle, and slice celery. Combine vegetables, pickle, egg, and mayonnaise; mix lightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill in fridge at least 1 hour. Best the next day. 


The thing I love about this salad is the ease of prep and the few ingredients it takes to make a creamy delicious side dish. I hope you try it out and I think you'll put it on your favorite list too! 
Feel free to substitute fat free mayo or low fat mayo for a WW style recipe. I haven't tried it myself as I allowed myself to have it this holiday weekend without guilt. I made point friendly sweet and spicy beans and had fat free hot dogs (only 1 point each!). Not sure it would be the same with ff or lf mayo, but it sure wouldn't hurt to experiment!

Happy 4th of July!!

2 comments:

  1. Still thinking about this potato salad but haven't been to the store yet to get the potatoes.

    Hey, can you make me a signature similar to yours so when I post my name will be cute? I tried but failed miserably.

    Kthanksbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have arrived!! I made it onto SweetBippy Cooks. What an honor.

    ReplyDelete